Tuesday, October 14, 2014

I Thought I Learned This!

With the release of "Temperance and Treason," I have now been able to focus more on getting ready for Nano. I have a great idea but it is set in a time period I don't know much about, so I have been doing research. It has been interesting to read and learn about the Civil War, but I swear I have learned this before! I graduated from High School in 1998, that was sixteen years ago, and it is amazing the things I have forgotten. I know I learned about the Civil War, I probably took a test on it, but I have learned so much more doing this research. I probably took a history class in College also, but I still think it is cool that I am learning more! I am a big advocate of writing about things that you know about, things you understand, but I also think we need to stretch ourselves and learn more about the world around us. I know lots of people that write Fantasy, and Science Fiction, and it could be argued that you don't have to do research for those topics, but I disagree. I think every form of writing can benefit from research. I think it makes our writing more real, and more full. So whatever you're doing for Nano I want to encourage you to look up something new, it doesn't have to be big, but go to the library search something out, it will be good for you. Open up the books and learn something, you never know what you might find, or remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment