Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy Independence Day!

Yesterday I took a break from writing to spend Independence Day with my family and friends.  We went to the parade and had a BBQ at the park. Spend the afternoon watching cartoons with the kids and then played cards with friends until dark, then set off fireworks.  It was a fun day, but no writing got done! Good thing I worked hard the day before!

Camp Nano had given me a reason be be a crazy writer, you know the ones in the movies who wear
sweaters, drink cup loads of coffee (hot chocolate for me please) and look all pensive all the time.  It's fun to be that person, feeling all angsty about things while I write poignant phrases like:

"She stared into the deep, feeling the turmoil of the black waves within her own soul."

Yesterday I got to watch my children enjoying the full measure of life and it made me wonder why I can't just let myself live every day like I do when I write during Nano? Don't get me wrong, I don't want to wear sweaters all the time, and to much hot chocolate would relegate me to the bathroom for a good portion of the day, but that doesn't mean I can't write with all the passion and abandonment that I do twice a year for Nano. 

What I am trying to say is, yesterday on Independence Day I learned a few things about myself. I'm going to try to not be so hard on myself and enjoy the process instead of trying to make everything perfect.  Just like a firework, life is more exciting when you don't know what is in the package. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment