Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Word Count Equivalent

I've been reading about publishing and I continue to learn important things. With a full novel complete, above 85,000 words, I'm also considering shorter stories as well. In my research, I find this:

Classification Word count
Novel over 40,000 words
Novella 17,500 to 40,000 words
Novelette 7,500 to 17,500 words
Short story under 7,500 words

I think a short story would be fun to put together. How does one go about cutting all the extra words? How does one go about cutting the plot down to nearly nothing? Sure, I can simplify, but when a story is in your head, (you know what I'm talking about), it pours out, and quickly jumps past the 'short story' stage of a mere 7,500 words.

I guess I'll give it a run. I'll post it on my website when it is complete. Maybe I'll post it as I go. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment