Tuesday, August 20, 2013

End of Summer!

Saturday my husband and I were walking through our back yard, and I mentioned to him that we were nearing the end of summer.  The end of long warm nights and summer flowers.  The time when kids get ready to go back to school, and we struggle to regain some kind of schedule.  Some years this is a hard time for me because I love summer! I like to be able to go outside in bare feet. I like to hear the sprinklers and watch my garden go from nothing, to full out explosion of green and yummieness.  It is true that after three months of summer my kids are a little bit on edge, and there are days they drive me crazy, but I love the smell of their hair when they come in from playing all day, all warm and smelling like the sun.  Or how they look covered in Popsicle, after swimming in the pool. These are the memories I won't easily forget.

Still a schedule is something I crave.  I would like to get up in the morning and have my day planned down to the hour.  I work so much better when I know what is happening and when it is going to happen rather than wandering around wondering what I should do next.  I look forward to getting everyone to school and having two or more hours to work on what I want to work on. I look forward to two hours of writing when no one needs me to do anything, and I can really get in deep to the story instead of stopping to help someone get a drink, or turn on a TV show.  Don't get me wrong, I love to spend time with my kids, but school offers me time to be me.

Anyway, I was walking in my beautiful back yard thinking about how much fun we have had this summer, almost wishing it wouldn't end but I realized that is the ebb and flow of life.  We have days in the sun, and days when it is almost to cold to do anything.  Right now my children are young and spending long days at the pool with cousins is part of the living process.  School will start and we will move on from Summer of 2013, but somethings never leave you.  So here we go school year 2013, bring on the homework, fall leaves, Halloween, apple cider, and snow boots, I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment